The Police Accountability Project present a unique full day professional development training for law practitioners, community & youth workers.
Police Accountability Practice Forum
Join us for a practical and participatory practice forum to examine and improve responses to complaints about police behaviour.
Designed to bring solicitors, community or youth workers together, this forum will support you in undertaking work in this very challenging area.
This forum will draw on participant experience and a wide range of expertise from the legal and community sectors.
Wednesday, 15 November 2017
10.30am to 4.00pm
Kensington Town Hall, 30-34 Bellair St,
Lunch, & afternoon tea provided.
Places are limited. Bookings essential.
Location info: The Kensington Town Hall is a short walk from Newmarket train station on the Craigieburn line. By Tram from the city take Route 57 and get off at Stop 26 Newmarket Plaza. All day parking available nearby.
Sessions 10.30am to 12.30pm
For both solicitors and community workers
- Supporting individuals & communities experiencing unlawful policing
- Causes and impacts of police violence
- How lawyers and community workers can effectively work together
- How to make a police complaint
Sessions 1.00pm to 4.00pm:
For solicitors specifically
- Securing funding for police accountability work
- Intentional tort claims for police accountability work
- Tactics in defending malicious/improperly brought criminal prosecutions
Legal practitioners: This training attracts up to 4.5 CPD points
The cost of the program is tiered according to organisation size and employment status so that program is accessible to the most talented and diverse group.